Awendaw is home to several education-oriented entities:
- the Sewee Visitor and Environmental Education Center;
- Center for Birds of Prey/Avian Conservation;
- Bull Island Ferry;
- the Town's Annual Blue Crab Festival;
- SEWEE Association's Annual Oyster Roast;
- Annual Bulls Bay Nature Festival;
- and, Awendaw Green, a weekly outdoor music event at Sewee Outpost.
The Town of Awendaw is centrally located along the Gullah Geeche Cultural Heritage Corridor and has been designated the pilot project for the newly formed partnership between the Gullah Geeche Cultural Heritage Corridor and the East Coast Greenway. Awendaw is excited about the opportunities this partnership and demonstration project presents to preserve and increase awareness of the Gullah/Geechee language, traditions, arts, crafts and resources that have influenced this region as it also promotes the use of the East Coast Greenway. The hope is that a wide variety of partners will facilitate cultural interpretive experiences in Awendaw.